Westchester Underage DWI Lawyer
Protecting Clients in White Plains & the Surrounding Areas
In addition, New York’s Zero Tolerance Law states that it is illegal for a driver under 21 years of age to drive with a blood alcohol content reading of .02 to .07 percent. It is a serious offense, and the tough DWI laws in this state cause thousands of people every year to lose their license. If you are a first-time offender, you face varying criminal and administrative penalties that could include fines, jail time, and license suspension. At the Law Office of Michael D. Litman, we can help you protect yourself from these charges.
Consequences of a Conviction
The DWI laws in New York are complex, and charges are not something you can fight on your own. An experienced criminal defense attorney can advocate for you in the courtroom and ensure your rights are protected throughout the process so that you do not suffer the harsh consequences of a conviction.
According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, penalties for an alcohol- or drug-related violation include the loss of driving privileges, fines, and a possible jail term as follows:
First Zero Tolerance Law offense
- $125 mandatory civil penalty and $100 fee to terminate suspension
- License suspension of 6 months
Second Zero Tolerance Law offense
- $125 civil penalty and $100 re-application fee
- License revocation for one year or until age 21
There are other costs as well. Your family will face embarrassment, and a DWI may affect your career and opportunities for employment.
Defending against the Charges
New York DWI laws are complicated. To ensure the best results, it pays to enlist the help of a skilled DWI lawyer who knows the laws and the system. An experienced lawyer will be able to analyze your case and determine which legal defenses to assert, and will handle hearings, plea bargaining, expert witnesses, and take your case to trial if necessary. Your defense strategy will depend on the individual circumstances of your case.
An experienced attorney will look for problems in several areas, including:
- Challenging the basis for the stop: If the police officer did not have probable cause to stop, detain and arrest you, then you may be able to get evidence thrown out.
- Challenging the results of the field sobriety results: Field sobriety tests may be inaccurate. Results can be tainted by factors including human error, illness, medication, and even obesity. Tests are subject to officer interpretation, which may be incorrect.
- Challenging breathalyzer results: Breathalyzer results may not take mitigating factors into account, such as the driver’s weight, age, gender, or ingestion of medication.
- Challenging officer observations: The police can make mistakes and be susceptible to tiredness, forgetfulness, and misconceptions, like everyone else.
Attorney Michael Litman is a seasoned trial attorney who knows the courts, the prosecutors, and the system, and is prepared to fight for you throughout the entire process.
Schedule a Free Consultation Now
Once you are charged with a crime, the clock starts ticking before you will be required to appear in court and fight for your freedom. The sooner you call our firm, the more time we will have to examine the evidence in your case and help you better tell your side of the story. Your freedom is important to us.
Get started now by calling our Westchester underage DWI defense attorney at (914) 268-6855.
“I think this is the best result I could have hoped for considering my situation.”- Former Client
“I found his services exceptional.”- Former Client
“I'm completely satisfied and once again thanks wish you luck and success on your extraordinary career!”- Former Client